This program includes technical training and hands-on skills training in how to use fixed and portable lifting equipment and accessories to locate loads in position to allow final installation or fixing, or move loads to a position where they are accessible to a crane.
There are no pre-requisites for Stage 1 Initial Training.
By the end of the OPITO Rigging Stages 1 and 2 training participants will be able to:
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of a Rigger
- Describe a typical reporting structure for rigging
- List the main Health and Safety legislation that applies to rigging
- Understand and adhere to the relevant Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations
- Identify key criteria of a lifting plan
- Correctly and safely position and instal lifting equipment before starting a lifting operation
- Explain and demonstrate load weight identification and methods to determine the weight of the load.
All tasks and activities will be performed under the supervision of a suitably qualified and experienced trainer.
At the end of the training course participants will complete a written and practical test to ensure they have the required knowledge and skills specified in the 44 learning outcomes of the following modules:
Module 1 - The Role of the Rigger and An Introduction to Lifting Operations
Module 2 - Rigging and Lifting Operations.