This program includes technical training, hands-on skills training and the examinations required to validate the core competency of practitioners working in explosive atmospheres according to CompEx standards.
Successful participants will be awarded a unique photographic CompEX Card, which is valid for 5 years and is recognised worldwide.
Prerequisites: In order to enrol on this course, participants should be qualified Electrical/Instrument Technicians and/or Engineers. The candidate should bring to the course evidence of the above and any other relevant electrical/instrumentation qualification certificates. Candidates who cannot provide evidence of their qualifications will receive a non-technical person’s certificate when deemed competent.
If you are an experienced electrical and instrument Engineer, Technician, Supervisor or Project Engineer working in hazardous situations where gases, vapours and mists make the environment potentially explosive, this training course provides the ideal opportunity for you to develop and demonstrate competency in the selection, installation, inspection and maintenance of the appropriate electrical apparatus.z
By the end of the CompEX Ex 01-04 training course participants will be able to:
- Recommend the remedial action required to maintain electrical/ instrument hazardous area equipment to meet the required standards
- Select the appropriate protection concept, enclosure/ equipment, glands and ancillary components and instal correctly in hazardous areas
- Identify problems with electrical/ instrument equipment installed in hazardous areas with respect to the appropriate British, European and IEC standards
- Explain why electrical/ instrument equipment can be a source of ignition that could contribute to an explosion
- Describe the concept of area classification and the need to zone flammable atmospheres accordingly
- Explain the terminology and definitions associated with hazardous areas
- Differentiate between the various protection concepts: Ex d, Ex e, Ex N, Ex n, Ex ia & Ex ib, Ex p, Ex o, Ex q and Ex m.
All training activities will be advanced. All cabling and cable gland installation, inspection and maintenance of electrical protection apparatus will remain in accordance with approved procedures, test specifications, maintenance schedules and all other relevant international/approved standards. All tasks and subsequent activities will be performed under the supervision of a suitably qualified and experienced trainer.
At the end of the training course participants will complete a written and practical test to ensure they have the required knowledge and skills specified in the learning outcomes of the following modules:
- Ex01 - Preparation and Installation of Ex d, Ex e, Ex n & Ex p systems
- Ex02 - Inspection and Maintenance of Ex d, Ex e, Ex n & Ex p systems
- Ex03 - Preparation and Installation of Ex i systems
- Ex04 - Inspection and Maintenance of Ex i systems
- Overview of area classification zones 0, 1 and 2
- Gas groups and temperature classes
- Protection concepts
- Selection of apparatus, cabling, glands and termination requirements
- Inspection of equipment and systems to IEC 60079-17 standards
- A brief overview of the ATEX Directives.